May 11, 2021
VIRALEZE™ partners with Harlequins in the UK (ASX Announcement)
Starpharma attaches a media release announcing the partnership between VIRALEZE™ and Harlequins in the UK, which was distributed today. (Click here)
Harlequins is a professional English rugby union team, established in 1866, and one of the founding members of the Rugby Football Union. Harlequins play in the English Premiership, the top level of English rugby union. The Club’s home ground is the Twickenham Stoop Stadium, “The Stoop”, in south-west London. For more information about Harlequins, visit www.quins.co.uk.
Harlequins Take Next Step in Player COVID-19 Safety with VIRALEZE™ Antiviral Nasal Spray
Harlequins is delighted to partner with VIRALEZE™, an antiviral nasal spray that has been shown in laboratory studies to rapidly inactivate more than 99.9% of coronavirus/SARS-CoV-2.1
Taking the next step in securing the safety of the Club’s staff and players, Harlequins has partnered with VIRALEZE™, an antiviral nasal spray used to combat multiple strains of the virus that causes COVID-19.1
Harlequins is the first Rugby Club in the UK to partner with VIRALEZE™, which can be used in conjunction with other safety measures, helping to protect the Club’s players and coaching staff.
VIRALEZE™ also works against a broad spectrum of other respiratory viruses including common cold viruses, influenza, and RSV (respiratory syncytial virus).
Developed by leading biopharmaceutical company Starpharma, VIRALEZE™ is the only nasal spray containing a specifically designed antiviral active that has been shown in laboratory studies to irreversibly inactivate more than 99.9% of SARS-CoV-2 within one minute.1
Harlequins’ Head of Medical Services, Mike Lancaster, said the Quins were delighted to add VIRALEZE™ to the range of safety measures already in place to protect players from COVID-19.
“Player health is paramount in professional sport and now more than ever, we look to maximise the level of protection we can offer our players. The VIRALEZE™ partnership is an important additional level of protection for our Men’s and Women’s players against viruses such as flu and coronavirus/SARS-CoV-2.”
Starpharma’s CEO, Dr Jackie Fairley, said: “We are delighted to partner VIRALEZE™ with Harlequins, an iconic club with such a long and proud history.
“VIRALEZE™ is an ideal product for a team like the Quins, especially when the Club is playing away requiring team travel, as well as the close contact that is unavoidable in playing and training.
“We hope VIRALEZE™ brings the Club and its supporters’ greater confidence and peace of mind as they embark on the final matches of this season.”
1Paull, J.R.A. et al. Virucidal and antiviral activity of astodrimer sodium against SARS-CoV-2 in vitro (2021). Antiviral Research: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.antiviral.2021.105089.
The science behind VIRALEZE™
- VIRALEZE™ contains a specifically designed antiviral active that has been shown in laboratory studies to irreversibly inactivate more than 99.9% of coronavirus/SARS-CoV-2 within one minute of exposure.1
- VIRALEZE™ works against multiple strains of SARS-CoV-21, as well as a broad spectrum of other respiratory viruses including common cold viruses, influenza, RSV, SARS, and MERS.
- VIRALEZE™ targets the nasal cavity, the primary site where the COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 virus typically enters the body and can be used in conjunction with other safety measures.
- The active in VIRALEZE™, astodrimer sodium, has been extensively studied in multiple viruses and is a component in products registered in more than 45 countries – including the 27 countries of the EU, the UK, Japan, South East Asia, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.
- VIRALEZE™ contains an active that is not absorbed into the bloodstream and has been marketed in other products for more than seven years.
- VIRALEZE™ provides a moisturising and protective barrier to help keep nasal tissue hydrated.
- VIRALEZE™ is easy and convenient to use and can be stored at room temperature.
How it works
- VIRALEZE™ targets the area in the nasal cavity where respiratory viruses that cause colds, flu, and more severe respiratory illness, such as COVID-19, first attach and start to multiply.
- VIRALEZE™ contains astodrimer sodium (SPL7013), which is antiviral and has been shown in laboratory studies to inactivate viruses1, adding a further physical barrier to respiratory viruses.
- Astodrimer sodium (SPL7013) acts by blocking the interaction between the SARS-CoV-2 viral ‘spikes’ and the human cells the virus is seeking to infect.
For more information on VIRALEZE™, visit www.viraleze.co.
Download: VIRALEZETM partners with Harlequins in the UK (PDF, 847kb)