Oct 08, 2021
VIRALEZE™ launch in ADMENTA Italia Group pharmacies in Italy (ASX Announcement)
- Starpharma has signed a sales and distribution agreement for VIRALEZE™ with ADMENTA Italia Group, a leader in pharmaceutical retail and wholesale distribution in Italy
- ADMENTA operates ~260 pharmacies under its LloydsFarmacia brand (including 13 parapharmacies and 50 franchising pharmacies) in Italy
- ADMENTA is also a leading pharmaceutical wholesale distributor in Italy, supplying over 2,500 pharmacies, parapharmacies, drugstores and hospitals through its controlled company FarmAlvarion
- ADMENTA is also the Italian holding company of McKesson Europe. McKesson Corporation, USA, is the majority shareholder in McKesson Europe AG. McKesson Corporation is a global leader in healthcare supply chain management solutions, retail pharmacy, community oncology and specialty care, and healthcare information technology
- VIRALEZE™ will be available through ADMENTA’s extensive retail pharmacy (LloydsFarmacia) and parapharmacy chains
- VIRALEZE™ is a broad-spectrum antiviral nasal spray that contains SPL7013, which has been shown in laboratory studies to have potent antiviral and virucidal activity in multiple respiratory viruses including multiple variants of SARS-CoV-2, where it has been shown to inactivate >99.9% of the Delta variant
Melbourne, Australia; 8 October 2021: Starpharma (ASX: SPL, OTCQX: SPHRY) today announced it has signed a sales and distribution agreement for VIRALEZE™ antiviral nasal spray with ADMENTA Italia Group (ADMENTA), a leading pharmaceutical retail and wholesale distribution company in Italy. The Italian OTC pharmaceutical market is the third largest in Europe after Germany and the UK.
ADMENTA operates over 260 pharmacies under its LloydsFarmacia brand, including 13 parapharmacies and 50 franchising Pharmacies in Italy.
VIRALEZE™ is expected to be available to Italian consumers in stores and via LloydsFarmacia’s online platform this quarter. Under the agreement, Starpharma will supply VIRALEZE™, with ADMENTA responsible for distribution, sales, and marketing of the product in Italy.
ADMENTA employs around 1,400 people in Italy across both wholesale and retail, supplying over 2,500 pharmacies, parapharmacies, drugstores and hospitals.
VIRALEZE™ is a broad-spectrum antiviral nasal spray, applied in the nose to provide a physical barrier - between viruses and the nasal mucous membrane - that traps and irreversibly inactivates virus, including SARS-CoV-2. The antiviral agent in VIRALEZE™, referred to as SPL7013, has been shown in laboratory studies to have potent antiviral and virucidal activity in multiple respiratory viruses and multiple variants of SARS-CoV-2, including inactivation of >99.9% of the highly infectious Delta variant.
Vincenzo Masci, Marketing & Procurement Director of ADMENTA-LloydsFarmacia commented: “We are delighted to have partnered with Starpharma for VIRALEZE™ antiviral nasal spray in Italy. VIRALEZE™ will be an excellent addition to both our retail and distribution sectors as we head towards winter.”
Dr Jackie Fairley, CEO of Starpharma commented: “We are very pleased to have partnered with ADMENTA in Italy and we look forward to having VIRALEZE™ available soon to Italian consumers, through pharmacies as well as through the leading LloydsFarmacia online platform.”
VIRALEZE™ antiviral nasal spray is registered in Europe and India, and available in certain markets online. In the UK VIRALEZE™ is partnered with LloydsPharmacy, also part of the McKesson group, and Starpharma is in advanced discussions with potential commercial partners elsewhere in Europe, India, Asia and other regions. VIRALEZE™ is not registered for sale or supply in Australia.
ADMENTA Italia Group
ADMENTA Italia Group, part of McKesson Europe, employs around 1400 people across both wholesale and retail (under the brand LloydsFarmacia), with two distribution centres and over 260 Pharmacies (including 13 Parapharmacies and 50 franchising Pharmacies). ADMENTA also distributes, through its logistic platforms, medical products to 2,500 customers, including pharmacies, parapharmacies, drugstores and hospitals.
VIRALEZE™ Antiviral Nasal Spray
VIRALEZE™ contains SPL7013, which has been shown in laboratory studies to inactivate a broad spectrum of respiratory/cold viruses, including multiple SARS-CoV-2 variants, influenza, and RSV. VIRALEZE™ is registered for sale in Europe and India. VIRALEZE™ is not registered for sale or supply in Australia.
SPL7013 is also included in other products registered in >45 countries and available for sale in the UK, Europe, Japan, South East Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
Starpharma acknowledges the $1 million in funding for the development of VIRALEZE™ provided by the Australian Government’s Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) Biomedical Translation Bridge (BTB) Program, with support from UniQuest. Delivered by MTPConnect, the Australian Government's BTB program is a $22.3 million MRFF initiative that provides up to $1 million in matched funding to nurture the translation of new therapies, technologies and medical devices through to proof of concept to turn innovative medical ideas into reality.
 OTC pharmaceutical sales, Euromonitor 2020
Download ASX Announcement: VIRALEZE™ launch in ADMENTA Italia Group pharmacies in Italy (PDF 435kb)