Jun 23, 2020
Multiple DEP® products showcased at AACR 2020
- Four DEP® products have been featured in five poster presentations at the 2020 Annual American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting
- Three posters feature AstraZeneca’s first DEP® oncology product AZD0466 which consistently outperformed in multiple preclinical tumour models
- Two posters showcase Starpharma’s clinical-stage products DEP® docetaxel, DEP® cabazitaxel and DEP® irinotecan demonstrating superior performance in a range of tumour models, both alone and in combination
Melbourne, Australia; 23 June 2020: Starpharma (ASX: SPL, OTCQX: SPHRY) today announced that five posters featuring products based on Starpharma’s DEP® platform have been presented at the AACR (American Association for Cancer Research) Annual Meeting. The AACR Annual Meeting brings together leading cancer research and medicine from institutions all over the world and is an important forum for both raising product awareness and commercial interactions.
The AACR Annual Meeting is one of the most widely attended cancer research meetings each year. AACR 2020 is being held 22-24 June 2020 as a virtual event this year due to COVID-19 restrictions. In 2019 the meeting was attended by more than 20,000 cancer scientists, industry personnel and clinicians.
Three of the five poster presentations feature AstraZeneca’s novel oncology DEP® product, AZD0466. This is the first time that the majority of this AZD0466 data presented in these posters has been made publicly available.
The AZD0466 posters highlight the significant improvement in therapeutic index delivered by the DEP® technology, enabling the progression of AZD0466 into the clinic. AZD0466 is currently in a multi-centre phase 1 trial in the US in both solid and haematological tumours (blood cancers).
The posters also highlight the potent and broad ranging anti-cancer activity of AZD0466 which results from the dual Bcl2 and Bcl/xL activity. AZD0466 demonstrated superior anti-cancer activity in a wide range of preclinical tumour models including Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL), Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC).
The remaining posters showcase preclinical data from Starpharma’s products DEP® docetaxel, DEP® cabazitaxel and DEP® irinotecan, which are all in phase 2 clinical trials. The preclinical data presented at AACR comprises a series of xenograft studies showing enhanced efficacy of DEP® candidates/products used as a monotherapy or in combination with standard of care therapies.
Dr Jackie Fairley, Starpharma CEO, commented: “It’s very pleasing to have five AACR posters dedicated to DEP® products this year and to present further compelling AZD0466 data for the first time. It is particularly exciting to see the superior anti-cancer activity of AZD0466 against venetoclax in preclinical leukemia and solid tumour models. These posters highlight the reproduceable improvements in efficacy and therapeutic index enabled by the DEP® technology which are platform benefits that we’ve seen in both our internal products and partner programs.”
Poster details with links:
Poster Session: Targeted Delivery of Small Molecules and Biologics 1
- 1715 / 1 - Anti-cancer activity of a SN-38 nanoparticle, DEP® irinotecan, in human colon and pancreatic cancer xenograft models
- 1716 / 2 - Anticancer activity of the taxane nanoparticles, DEP® docetaxel and DEP® cabazitaxel
- 1718 / 4 - Design and optimization of a dendrimer-conjugated dual Bcl-2/Bcl-xL inhibitor, AZD0466, with improved therapeutic index
Poster Session: BCL-2 Family and Mitochondrial Apoptosis
- 56 / 2 - AZD0466, a nanomedicine of a potent dual Bcl-2/Bcl-xL inhibitor, exhibits anti-tumor activity in a range of hematological and solid tumor models
Poster Session: Topoisomerases, Tubulin, and Other Small Molecule Therapeutic Agents (only available via the AACR website)
- 3075 / 9 - Anti-leukemic activity of BCL-2/BCL-XL dual inhibitor - AZD0466 in T-acute lymphoblastic leukemia preclinical models
The e-posters are available for viewing by registered attendees, with links for the first four posters provided above and at https://starpharma.com/drug_delivery/dep-posters.
Download ASX Announcement: Multiple DEP products showcased at AACR 2020 (pdf, 68kb)